Okra Curry

"Not a big of fan of Okra? I can prove you wrong!"


As much as I was holding myself back, I couldn't help but start this post with the above tag line! Honestly, yesterday I made this Stunningly Yummy Okra Curry, and earlier I had been asking some of my friends whether they like okra or not!


Not to my surprise, many of them were negative in their answers! I don't blame them somehow, though I am a big lover of vegetables and Lalo being one of them (Oh, that is how we call Okra/Lady Fingers here in Mauritius!!), because they can be pretty much slimy! 


I have always consumed one kind of Okra dish and that is Lalos touffés - which is Sautéed Okras - a simple dish! Had it not been for mine and my sister's sake, my mother would have kept enjoying her raw food lifestyle! I am right there with her, it's just that my palate's not much into raw food!


So, because I wanted to see some change in my usual plate of boring Sautéed Okras, and because my Shahi Paneer came out very good last week (my first attempt, too bad I didn't get the chance to take photos, but I will upload the recipe soon!) I decided to make an adapted version of it with Okras!


People tend to underestimate the goodness of Okra! But if you're one of them,
you'll love it, once you make this deliciously Spicy Okra Curry!


The result was beyond my expectation, really! It was tasty, spicy and a little bit....tart, the only thing to complain about! Obviously it came out teeny tiny bit tarty because of the tomatoes, so I added some sugar and the problem was solved! It was a taste-bud-blowing dish!


I hope you give it a try, because it is really worth it! And to all the Hindu devotees, out there, who are fasting, I wish you Good Luck in your pious endeavour!


Update 28/02/14: Easy Yummy Cookery's Okra Curry got featured, unexpectedly, on theKitchn! Here's the link!


Equipment:
  • Kitchen Scale
  • Oven/Pan
  • Measuring Spoons

Ingredients:
  • 200g of Okras, cut into 1" in length
  • 3 Small Tomatoes (or 2 Medium), chopped
  • 1 Medium Onion, chopped
  • 5-6 Curry Leaves
  • 1/2 Tsp of Black Mustard Seeds
  • 1/2 Tsp of Cumin Seeds
  • 1/2 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
  • 2 Tsp of Cilantro Powder
  • 1/2 Tsp of Cumin Powder
  • 1/2 Tsp of Cayenne Pepper (or Ground Chilli, adjust to your taste!)
  • 1/2 Tsp of Crushed Garlic
  • 1/4 Tsp of Garam Masala (5 Spices)
  • Pinch of Asafoetida
  • 1/3 Cup of Water
  • 125g (almost half cup) Plain Yogurt
  • 1/2 Tsp of sugar (Optional: add and adjust only if tomatoes are tart)
  • 10 Cashew Nuts pulverised with 2 Tbsp of Water (Optional)
  • Cilantro, to garnish
  • Oil for frying

Method:
  • In a pan, deep fry okras until cooked. Drain excess oil. Set aside.
  • Toss in 1 Tbsp of oil in another pan set on medium heat.
  • When oil is hot, add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
  • When the seeds start to splutter, add the curry leaves, the crushed garlic and the chopped onions and let sauté until transparent.
  • Add the tomatoes, the cumin powder, cayenne pepper, cilantro powder, asafoetida, garam masala and turmeric powder. Stir to combine evenly.
  • Let cook until the tomatoes are soft and almost mushy!
  • At this point, add the water and let sauce thicken for a few minutes.
  • Add the yogurt and the pulverised cashew nuts to the sauce and let cook for another few minutes. The sauce will thicken a little bit more. If and only if the sauce is tasting tart, add the sugar now.
  • Finally add the okras, and let cook for another 2 minutes.

Easy to make, easier to eat!

1 comment

We love hearing from you! Leave us a comment just so we know your thoughts!